New in Denmark – what now?

Read this, if Denmark is your new home


Moving to a foreign country is a big deal. New impressions and a different culture can be both terrifying, exciting and confusing at the same time. If you just moved to Denmark, you have come to the right place. This article will take you through the basics that you need to know, when you are about to settle down in the land of “hygge”. Due to political reasons, many of the rules are different depending on your nationality or situation.


Being Swiss, Norwegian or an EU/EEA citizen in Denmark is different from being Chinese, Iranian or Canadian—when it comes to which rules you are affected by. There are also special rules for refugees and people, who are applying for political asylum. The following paragraphs will be centered on, what you should do and take into consideration, if you have already gotten a residence permit in Denmark.


New in Denmark – your civil registration number is key

As a newcomer in Denmark it can be very difficult to figure out what you need—and how to get it. Every Danish citizen gets a so-called CPR number at birth, which is a civil registration number that functions as a lifelong ID number. Once you have a residence permit in Denmark, you are going to need your own CPR number. You get it by The Immigration Office, and the official authorities will use it to work your case. When you have registered your new Danish address at the local authority’s office, you get public health insurance and other privileges and rights.


The Danish Immigration Service knows everything about how to get a CPR number:


You can’t just take any job!

One of the many rights you get, is the right to Danish public health care. On top of that, you get the right to take on a job in Denmark. It is important to note that you can not take any job. You can only work at the specific workplace (and in the specific position) that you have applied for in your work permit registration. If you want to get another job, you would need to apply for permission to do this.


NemID: Getting digital access

It is also important that you get a bank account in a Danish bank, when you are new in Denmark. The list of trustworthy banks in Denmark is long, so we are not going to recommend any specific ones. To create a bank account, you are going to need an ID and the so-called “NemID”, if you would like to do it online. “NemID” is an official digital login service for public and some private online self-services. That is, if you want to check your tax info at the Danish Tax Agency’s webpage or log on to online banking services, you would need your NemID, which is a secure solution meant for all Danish citizens.


Learning Danish - a new language

It is important to learn the language of the country you live in. As a foreigner in Denmark you can learn Danish at a State certified language schools such as CLAVIS. CLAVIS have departments in Roskilde, Copenhagen and Aarhus. To sign up for Danish classes you need to have a CPR number and a residence permit

If you got your CPR number you can sign up for Danish classes. You can either do it here at our website or by calling one of our departments at 4173 8100


We hope that this piece of information, will be helpful to you and your new life here in Denmark. Welcome and good luck!